Sunday, October 20, 2024

NY Mets Win the 1969 World Series – A Kid's Dream Came True!

 




As I await to see how my 2024 Mets end their season, I cannot stop remembering the first time the Mets won the World Series in 1969. As a kid who always heard how bad my team was in the past, in 1969 I was on top of the world (series to follow).

All summer I wore my Mets baseball cap with pride, as the greats I loved like Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Jerry Grote, and Cleon Jones, indeed became greater than any other team in the league. And the genius of bringing in Donn Clendenon in from Montreal provided us with a new hero that helped propel the team to victory.

So tonight, while my 2024 team awaits its fate against the Los Angeles Dodgers, I took comfort in watching this video and remembering my childhood heroes. I think often about this great group that brought me such joy so many years ago, and that was the year that my dream came true. My New York Mets were the best team in the world!

One note: Dave Johnson, who made the last out hitting the fly ball to Cleon Jones, went on to be the Mets skipper who led them to a World Series win in 1986. That's a fun fact for you to remember!   

No comments: