Thursday, May 16, 2024

'Batman' TV Show Reunion in 1988 on FOX's 'The Late Show' Is a Nostalgic Gem

 



The Batman TV Show Reunion in 1988 on Ross Shafer's The Late Show on FOX is a nostalgic gem. I am currently watching the series all over again courtesy of METV here in New York. I stumbled upon this video, and it seemed like a coincidence, but in the world of comic book heroes there are no coincidences. 

What I didn't understand as a kid  that the show's best jokes were for my parents and going right over my head  is apparent to me now.. The tilted angles of the camera and the walking up the sides of buildings where famous people would open their windows and converse with the Caped Crusaders, are all coming back to me, and I am loving it. 

Watching this video is bittersweet. This show was filmed in April of 1988, and Alan Napier (the stalwart butler Alfred) died a few months after this broadcast. Also, every one of the stars who appear in this video has passed away except for Burt Ward (Robin).

Adam West (Bruce Wayne/Batman) will always be my favorite Batman because he made such an impression on me when I was a kid. His voice, his mannerisms, and his dry sense of humor all coalesce and make him the Batman I think about when I hear that word.

Oh, and be sure not to fast forward the commercials. You will be seeing ones that people in New York were watching back in 1988. This video is a wonderful time capsule as well as a tribute to my favorite TV show from my childhood.

Enjoy, old chums!

No comments: