Sunday, June 17, 2018

Father’s Day – The Best Holiday of the Year



No offense, Mother’s Day, but Father’s Day is the best holiday of the year for me. It is the one day when I can rest easy and not have to worry about anything.

Most other holidays require me to do something. The most salient issue is I cannot forget Mother’s Day, Christmas, Easter, Valentine’s Day, Easter, birthdays, and anniversaries. They all need to be remembered; therefore, I have to write down these dates and keep that list handy every year.

The other problem is getting cards, flowers, and presents and not waiting until the day before to go shopping. Invariably, this occurs every year despite taking the precaution of making a list and putting reminders on my phone, causing me to run out to the store like a crazy tourist trying to find souvenirs.

Besides the obvious issue of looking for the right gift and card, it is the pressure of knowing that I have to do this. That is why I cannot enjoy those other holidays, but Father’s Day is mine! I don’t have to worry about anything. I don’t have to remember to get presents or flowers or cards. Also, I don’t have to worry about people not liking what I got them – which inevitably happens because, even after all these years, I’m not a good shopper – I get wrong sizes and colors or the whole gift is not appreciated. My Mom used to say, “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth,” but apparently no one in my house has ever heard that one before.

A few years ago, I tried gift cards, but later on someone told me that gift cards are the worst gift ever because people throw them into a drawer and never use them. This happened to be a person to whom I gave a gift card who I suppose never heard of that gift horse either.

I’m not going to be thinking of any of those worries today. No, today is my day to get up a little later (which I didn’t because my son wanted breakfast), do nothing (which I can’t do because someone in this house is always asking me to do something), and sit back and relax (not going to happen because we are going to dinner in a crowded, noisy restaurant).

Still, I got a great card from my son that he made in school, and he used “smart” twice as an adjective to describe me, which really surprises me because I can’t count how many times his response to something I have said has been  “That's just dumb, Dad.”  

I got other cards and presents as well, and this is my day and I’m not going to ruin it by complaining about yet another necktie and bottle of cologne in the gift horse’s mouth. My Mom taught me better.


Happy Father’s Day to all! 

No comments: